- Funding Organization : European Commission
- Funding Programme : Horizon 2020 – ICT
- Funding Instrument : Research & Innovation Action
- Duration : 36 months
- Total Budget : 7,681,088 EUR
- ITI Budget : 340,728 EUR
- Scientific Responsible : Dr. Dimitrios Tzovaras
Motivation: The expected diversity of services and use cases in 5G requires a flexible, adaptable, and programmable architecture. While the design of such architecture has been addressed by 5G-PPP Phase 1 at a conceptual level, it must be brought into practice in Phase 2. To this end, 5G-MoNArch will (i) evolve 5G-PPP Phase 1 concepts to a fully-fledged architecture, (ii) develop prototype implementations and (iii) apply these prototypes to representative use cases.
Approach: 5G-MoNArch architecture design will combine Phase 1 concepts (such as virtualisation, slicing and orchestration of access and core functions) with three enabling innovations that fill gaps not ad-dressed in Phase 1: (i) inter-slice control and cross-domain management, to enable the coordination across slices and domains, (ii) experiment-driven optimization, to leverage experimental results to design highly performing algorithms, and (iii) cloud-enabled protocol stack, to gain flexibility in the orchestration of virtualised functions.
Testbeds: The devised architecture will be deployed in two testbeds: (i) the sea port, representative of a vertical industry use case, and (ii) the touristic city, representative of a mobile operator deployment. For each testbed, 5G-MoNArch will instantiate the architecture and complement it with a use case specific functionality – the two functional innovations of 5GMoNArch: (i) resilience and security, needed to meet the sea port requirements, and (ii) resource elasticity, to make an efficient use of the resources in the touristic city.
Impact: 5G-MoNArch has a very high potential for commercial impact, including enhanced products (e.g., orchestrators or edge-cloud RAN), novel services (enabled by network slicing) and opportunities for new market players. To exploit this potential, 5G-MoNArch has elaborated a thorough and realistic innovation plan that includes patents and standards.
- NOKIA SOLUTIONS AND NETWORKS MANAGEMENT INTERNATIONAL GMBH Germany
- UNIVERSIDAD CARLOS III DE MADRID Spain
- DEUTSCHE TELEKOM AG Germany
- ALCATEL – LUCENT BELL LABS FRANCE France
- HUAWEI TECHNOLOGIES DUESSELDORF GMBH Germany
- TELECOM ITALIA SPA Italy
- SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS (UK) LIMITED United Kingdom
- ATOS SPAIN SA Spain
- HAMBURG PORT AUTHORITY Germany
- COMMISSARIAT A L ENERGIE ATOMIQUE ET AUX ENERGIES ALTERNATIVES France
- ETHNIKO KENTRO EREVNAS KAI TECHNOLOGIKIS ANAPTYXIS Greece
- MOBICS LTD Greece
- REAL WIRELESS LIMITED United Kingdom
- NOMOR RESEARCH GMBH Germany
- TECHNISCHE UNIVERSITAET KAISERSLAUTERN Germany