- Funding Organization : European Commission
- Funding Programme : FP7 - Information & Communication Technologies
- Funding Instrument : Specific Targeted Research Project
- Duration : 36 months
- Total Budget : 4,075,023 EUR
- ITI Budget : 502,631 EUR
- Scientific Responsible : Dr. Dimitrios Tzovaras
The demand for mobility of people and goods in urban environments steadily increases raising long-term sustainability, quality of life and environmental concerns. While ICTs have established the ground for developing intelligent transport services and applications, their effective use for supporting cleaner urban mobility still represents a major research challenge.
eCOMPASS introduces new mobility concepts and establishes a methodological framework for route planning optimization following a holistic approach in addressing the environmental impact of urban mobility. eCOMPASS aims at delivering a comprehensive set of tools and services for end users to enable eco-awareness in urban multi-modal transportations. eCOMPASS involves a generic architecture that will consider all types and scenarios of human and goods mobility in urban environments minimizing their corresponding environmental impact. Firstly, the project will focus on the design and development of intelligent on-board and centralized vehicles’ fleet management systems; the fundamental objective of eco-awareness will be addressed through employing intelligent traffic prediction and traffic balancing methods, while also taking into account driving behaviour and considering the option of car drivers transferred to means of public transportation at suitable locations. Secondly, eCOMPASS will develop web and mobile services providing multi-modal public transportation route planning, taking into account contextual information (such as location and time) as well as various restrictions and/or user constraints. Recommended routes will be optimized mainly in terms of the transports’ environmental footprint, although additional objectives will also be considered. An important objective of eCOMPASS is to develop novel algorithmic solutions and deliver the respective services to familiar end-user mobile devices.
- R.A. Computer Technology Institute
- Centre for Research & Technology – Informatics & Telematics Institute
- Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETHZ), Institute for Theoretical Computer Science
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Institute for Theoretical Informatics
- TomTom International B.V.
- PTV Planung Transport Verkehr AG