Product Accessibility Evaluation using Virtual User Models
This demonstration includes several cases of simulating the behavior of avatars interacting with virtual product prototypes. These prototype scenarios include the ergonomic evaluation of car interior designs, motorcycle dynamics evaluation, wheelchair navigation, virtual home environments accessibility testing, as well as cognitive and vision impairment simulation of interaction with graphical user interfaces.
User Model Generator (VerGen)
This application tool is used by VERITAS developers and designers to create a new Virtual User Model (VUM) to be used by the simulation core.
3D Editor (VerSEd-3D)
The 3D editor is used to prepare a virtual scene for simulation. The simulation preparation takes as input a 3D cad file and adds Designers use the Interaction Adaptor tool in order to create simulation model and interaction adaptation of a 3D design based on the simulation and task models of an application area and finally export the adapted -for interaction- 3D scene to the simulation core.
3D Core Simulation Viewer (VerSim-3D)
The 3D core simulation viewer is the tool used to run immersive simulations in order to test 3D products (for example chairs, cars, office spaces). A virtual scene, a scenario and a Virtual User Model (VUM) are loaded first. The simulator reports failure/success rates and duration needed by the virtual persona to complete the set of tasks described in the scenario.
GUI Capturer and Editor (VerSEd-GUI)
This is an application designed A) to capture the user’s behaviour while using the GUI of an external application and B) to let UI designers prepare a simulation. The final outcome is a properly prepared scenario file, ready to be used by the GUI simulator.
GUI Core Simulation Viewer (VerSim-GUI)
The GUI core simulation viewer is the tool used to run desktop simulations in order to test application GUIs (for example websites, mobile device interfaces, dektop applications). After initialization of the testing application, a scenario and a Virtual User Model (VUM) are loaded before the simulation. During scenario execution, a virtual filter is applied to the screen to simulate the visual impairment, an audio filter is applied to the speakers to simulate acoustic impairments and the cursor motion on the screen is reproduced by the simulator according to the motor impairments carried by the VUM. Finally, the tool reports failure/success rates and duration needed by the VUM to complete the set of tasks described in the scenario.
- N. Kaklanis, P. Moschonas, K. Moustakas, D. Tzovaras, "Enforcing accessible design of products and services by enabling automatic accessibility evaluation", Confidence 2010, 09-10 December 2010, Jyvaskyla, Finland.
- N. Kaklanis, P. Moschonas, K. Moustakas, and D. Tzovaras, "A framework for automatic simulated accessibility assessment in virtual environments", Proceedings of the Third international conference on Digital human modeling (ICDHM'11), 2011.
- P. Moschonas, N. Kaklanis and D. Tzovaras, "Novel Human Factors for Ergonomy Evaluation in Virtual Environments Using Virtual User Models", The 10th International Conference on Virtual Reality Continuum and Its Applications in Industry, VRCAI 2011, December 2011.
- P. Moschonas, N. Kaklanis, A. Tsakiris, K. Moustakas, D. Tzovaras, "An Open Simulation Framework for Automated and Immersive Accessibility Engineering", 6th Cambridge Workshop on Universal Access and Assistive Technology, CWUAAT 2012, March 2012.
- A. Tsakiris, P. Moschonas, K. Moustakas, and D. Tzovaras. "An Open Framework for Immersive and Non-Immersive Accessibility Simulation for Smart Living Spaces", 10th International Conference On Smart homes and health Telematics, ICOST 2012, June 2012.
- P. Moschonas, A. Tsakiris, N. Kaklanis, G. Stavropoulos, and D. Tzovaras, "Holistic accessibility evaluation using VR simulation of users with special needs", 20th conference on User Modeling, Adaptation, and Personalization, UMAP, 2012.
- N. Kaklanis, P. Moschonas, K. Moustakas, D. Tzovaras, "Virtual User Models for the elderly and disabled for automatic simulated accessibility and ergonomy evaluation of designs", Universal Access in the Information Society, Accessibility aspects in UIDLs, 2012.
- P. Moschonas, A. Tsakiris, I. Paliokas, D. Tzovaras, "User Interfaces Accessibility Assessment Using Virtual User Models", International Workshop on Personalisable Media Systems & Smart Accessibility, NEM Summit October 17th, 2012 in Istanbul, Turkey.
- A. Tsakiris, P. Moschonas, N. Kaklanis, I. Paliokas, G. Stavropoulos, D. Tzovaras, "Cognitive Impairments Simulation in a Holistic GUI Accessibility Assessment Framework", Association for the Advancement of Assistive Technology in Europe, 12th European AAATE Conference, AAATE 2013, Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal, 19-22 September 2013.
- P. Moschonas, A. Tsakiris, D. Tzovaras, "Automatic Kinodynamic Wheelchair Modelling for Architectural Design Accessibility Assessment", Association for the Advancement of Assistive Technology in Europe, 12th European AAATE Conference, AAATE 2013, Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal, 19-22 September 2013.
- S. Segouli, I. Paliokas, A. Tsakiris, M. Tsolaki, K. Votis, D. Tzovaras, "Enabling accessibility features in enhanced VR environments for supporting spatial abilities and social interaction in elderly and MCI patients", IGI Global Topic Selections, 2014 (to appear).
- P. Moschonas, A. Tsakiris, D. Tzovaras, "Product Accessibility Evaluation using Virtual User Models", research demo, IEEEVR 2014, 29th March 2014, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA (to appear).
- A. Tsakiris, I. Paliokas, D. Tzovaras, "Automatic Accessibility Assessment Using Virtual User Models for Infotainment User Interfaces", HCI International 2014, 22th June 2014, Heraklion, Crete, Greece (to appear).