Human Computer Interaction
CERTH/ITI is one of the largest European independent research institutes in the HCI domain while its research focuses on the accessibility and usability of ICT applications and the design of ubiquitous, adaptive and accessible user interfaces. Moreover the Visual Analytics, Virtual & Augmented Reality Lab has been active in the design and development of multimodal interfaces for various application areas including ambient intelligence, assistive technologies and natural interaction in virtual reality environments.
ITI has been actively involved in several FP5, FP6, FP7 and AAL projects in the field of eInclusion, eAccessibility, and User centred design. Indicatively relevant European R&D projects include: VERITAS (Virtual and Augmented Environments and Realistic User Interactions to achieve Embedded Accessibility Designs, FP7 ICT - IP, no.: 247765), Cloud4all (Cloud platforms Lead to Open and Universal access for people with Disabilities and for All, FP7 ICT–IP), AEGIS (Open Accessibility Everywhere, FP7 ICT-IP), (past projects:) ACTIBIO (Coordinator, FP7), ACCESSIBLE (Coordinator, FP7), OASIS (FP7), ASK-IT (FP6).
In April 2010, CERTH/ITI won the Judges Award at the Web Accessibility Challenge (sponsored by Microsoft) at the 7th International Cross-Disciplinary Conference on Web Accessibility (W4A 2010).
- Rui Lopes, Konstantinos Votis, Luís Carriço, Spiridon Likothanassis and Dimitrios Tzovaras, A Service Oriented Ontological Framework for the Semantic Validation of Web Accessibility, Handbook of Research on Social Dimensions of Semantic Technologies, IGI Global, 2009
- Rui Lopes, Konstantinos Votis, Luís Carriço, Spiridon Likothanassis and Dimitrios Tzovaras, Towards the Universal Semantic Assessment of Accessibility, 24th Annual ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC) 2010
- Rui Lopes, Konstantinos Votis, Luís Carriço, Dimitrios Tzovaras, and Spiridon Likothanassis, The Semantics of Personalised Web Accessibility Assessment, 25th Annual ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC) 2011
- Konstantinos Votis, Rui Lopes, Dimitrios Tzovaras, Luís Carriço and Spiridon Likothanassis, A Semantic Accessibility Assessment Environment for Design and Development for the Web, HCI International 2009 (HCII 2009)
- Nikos Partarakis, Constantina Doulgeraki, Margherita Antona, Theofanis Oikonomou, Nikolaos Kaklanis, Konstantinos Votis, Grammati-Eirini Kastori, Dimitrios Tzovaras, A Unified Environment for Accessing a Suite of Accessibility Evaluation Facilities, HCII 2011
- Nádia Fernandes, Rui Lopes, Luís Carriço, An Architecture for Multiple Web Accessibility Evaluation Environments, HCII 2011
- Theofanis Oikonomou, Konstantinos Votis, Dimitrios Tzovaras and Peter Korn, An Open Source Tool for Simulating a Variety of Vision Impairments in Developing Swing Applications, HCI International 2009 (HCII 2009)
- Theofanis Oikonomou, Konstantinos Votis, Peter Korn, Dimitrios Tzovaras and Spriridon Likothanasis, A Standalone Vision Impairments Simulator for Java Swing Applications, USAB - Usability & HCI for eInclusion 2010
- Theofanis Oikonomou, Konstantinos Votis, Peter Korn and Dimitrios Tzovaras, Simulating vision impairments for Java/Swing developers using the NetBeans IDE, CSUN 25th conference 2010
- Theofanis Oikonomou, Konstantinos Votis, Dimitrios Tzovaras, and Peter Korn, An Approximation Simulator for Designing and Developing Accessible Java Swing Applications, Free and Open Source Software for Accessible Mainstream Applications (FOSS-AMA), collocated with ETAPS (European Joint Conferences on Theory and Practice of Software) 2010
- Theofanis Oikonomou, Konstantinos Votis, Dimitrios Tzovaras, and Peter Korn, Designing and Developing Accessible Java Swing Applications, The 12th International Conference on Computers Helping People with Special Needs (ICCHP), 2011
- Theofanis Oikonomou, Dionysia Kontotasiou And Dimitrios Tzovaras, Providing An IDE For Creating, Simulating And Assessing Accessible Applications, 2nd International AEGIS Conference 2011
- Konstantinos Votis, Theofanis Oikonomou, Peter Korn, Dimitrios Tzovaras and Spriridon Likothanasis, A Visual Impaired Simulator to achieve Embedded Accessibility Designs, IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Computing and Intelligent Systems (ICIS) 2011
- N. Kaklanis, K. Votis, D. Tzovaras, "Open Touch/Sound Maps: A system to convey street data through haptic and auditory feedback", Computers & Geosciences, Vol. 57, pp. 59-67, Elsevier (2013), DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cageo.2013.03.005
- N. Kaklanis, K. Votis, D. Tzovaras, "A Mobile Interactive Maps Application for a Visually Impaired Audience", The Paciello Group Web Accessibility Challenge - W4A 2013, 10th International Cross-Disciplinary Conference on Web Accessibility, 13-15 May 2013, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- N. Kaklanis, K. Votis, P. Moschonas, D. Tzovaras, "HapticRiaMaps: Towards Interactive exploration of Web World maps for the Visually Impaired", W4A2011 – Microsoft Challenge, Co-Located with the 20th International World Wide Web Conference, March 28-29, 2011, Hyderabad, India.