Human recognition has always been a field of primary concern in a wide range of applications, such as access control (e.g. secure infrastructures, computer systems, door security, portable media, safes with biometric locks, etc.), time and attendance management and surveillance. Its primary aim is to achieve personalized human-machine interaction by utilizing these tools that will automatically reveal the identity of the user.
Etymologically, the term “biometrics" stems from the Greek words bio (i.e. life/livingness) and metrics (i.e. to measure) and refers to the measurements of unique physical or behavioral characteristics of individuals that are of high discrimination capacity and are able to reveal the identity of individuals.
The expertise of our research group goes beyond traditional approaches of human recognition, which are often characterized by increased obtrusiveness and raise strong disapproval by the public and their potential users.
Tending to resemble more natural ways for discriminating among people, we focus on the detection of these dynamic patterns of the movements of individuals that are able to discriminate among each other and why not identify them. In this context, extensive knowledge has been obtained not only via the study of gait styles, but also via the movement of their upper-body (i.e. prehension biometrics) during certain everyday activities. State of the art algorithms have been developed and utilized for both the capturing of the dynamic nature of the movement, but also its seamless combination with on-the-fly extracted soft/anthropometric characteristics.
- A.Drosou, D.Ioannidis, D.Tzovaras, M.Petrou, "Activity Related Authentication using Prehension Biometrics", Pattern Recognition (Elsevier), accepted with major revisions.
- A.Drosou, K.Moustakas, D.Tzovaras, M.Petrou, "Systematic Error Analysis for the Enhancement of Biometric Systems using Soft Biometrics", IEEE Signal Process. Lett., vol.19, no.12, pp.833 - 836, 2012, doi:10.1109/LSP.2012.2221701.
- D.Tzovaras, A.Drosou, "Continuous Authentication using activity related Traits", SPIE Newsroom, 2012, doi:10.1117/2.1201204.004199.
- D.Giakoumis, A.Drosou, P. Cipresso, D. Tzovaras, G. Hassapis, A. Gaggioli, G. Riva, "Using Activity-Related Behavioural Features towards more Effective Automatic Stress Detection", PLoSONE, vol.7, no.9, e43571, 2012, doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0043571.
- A.Drosou, D.Ioannidis, K.Moustakas, D.Tzovaras, "Spatiotemporal analysis of human activities for biometric authentication", Elsevier Journal of Computer Vision and Image Understanding (CVIU) - Special issue on Semantic Understanding of Human Behaviors in Image Sequences, vol. 116, no. 3, pp. 411 - 421, 2012, doi:10.1016/j.cviu.2011.08.009.
- A.Drosou, D.Ioannidis, K.Moustakas, D.Tzovaras, "Unobtrusive Behavioural and Activity Related Multi-modal Biometrics: The ACTIBIO Authentication Concept", in The scienti_c World - Special Issue on: Biometrics Applications: Technology, Ethics and Health Hazards, 2011, doi: 10.1100/tsw.2011.51.
- A.Drosou, G.Stavropoulos, D.Ioannidis, K.Moustakas, D.Tzovaras, "Unobtrusive multi-modal Biometric Recognition Approach using Activity-related Signatures", in IET Comput. Vis., vol.5, no.6, pp. 367 - 379, 2011, doi:10.1049/iet-cvi.2010.0166.
- A.Drosou, P.Moschonas, D.Tzovaras, "Robust 3D Face Recognition from Low Resolution Images", in Proc. of International Conference of the Biometrics Special Interest Group (BIOSIG), pp.289-296, 2013.
- A.Drosou, N.Porfyriou, D.Tzovaras, "Enhancing 3D face recognition using soft biometrics" in Proc. of 3DTV-Conference: The True Vision - Capture, Transmission and Display of 3D Video (3DTV-CON), pp.1-4, 2012.
- D. Giakoumis, A. Drosou, P. Cipresso, D. Tzovaras, G. Hassapis, A. Gaggioli, G. Riva, “Real-time Monitoring of Behavioural Parameters Related to Psychological Stress", in Proc. of 17th Annual CyberPsychology & CyberTherapy Conference, vol.181, pp.287 - 291, 2012.
- A.Drosou, D.Ioannidis, K.Moustakas, D.Tzovaras, "Activity related biometric authentication using Spherical Harmonics", in Proc of IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Workshops (CVPRW), pp. 25 - 30, 2011.
- A.Drosou, K.Moustakas, D.Tzovaras, "Event-based unobtrusive authentication using multi-view image sequences", in Proc. of ACM Multimedia/Artemis Workshop ARTEMIS10, pp. 69 - 74, 2010.
- A.Drosou, D.Ioannidis, K.Moustakas, D.Tzovaras, "Activity Related Biometrics based on motion Trajectories" in Proc. of BIOSIG 2010: Biometrics and Electronic Signatures, pp. 127 - 132, 2010.
- A.Drosou, D.Ioannidis, K.Moustakas, D.Tzovaras, "On the potential of activity related recognition", in Proc. of The International Joint Conference on Computer Vision, Imaging and Computer Graphics Theory and Applications (VISAPP), 2010.
- A.Drosou, D.Tzovaras, "Activity and Event Related Biometrics", Second Generation Biometrics, E.Mordini, D. Tzovaras (Eds.), Springer, vol.11, pp. 129 - 148, 2012.
- A.Drosou, D.Tzovaras, "Case Study - Biometric monitoring of behaviour" Handbook on Ambient Assisted Living for Healthcare, Well-being and Rehabilitation, J. C. Augusto, M. Huch, A. Kameas, J. Maitland, P. McCullagh, J. Roberts, A. Sixsmith, R. Wichert (Eds.), IOS Press, vol. 11, pp. 155 - 177, 2012.
- A.Drosou, D.Ioannidis, G. Stavropoulos, K.Moustakas, D.Tzovaras, "Biometric Keys for the Encryption of Multimodal Signatures" Recent Application in Biometrics, Jucheng Yang and Norman Poh (Eds.), InTech, 2011.
- S. Argyropoulos, D. Tzovaras, D. Ioannidis, Y. Damousis, M. G. Strintzis, M. Braun, and S. Boverie, "Biometric template protection in multimodal authentication systems based on error correcting codes", Journal of Computer Security, 18, 1 (Jan. 2010), 161-185.
- S.Argyropoulos, D.Tzovaras, D.Ioannidis, and M.G.Strintzis, "A Channel Coding Approach for Human Authentication from Gait Sequences" IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, vol.4, no.3,pp.428 - 440, Sep 2009
- D. Ioannidis, D. Tzovaras, I. G. Damousis, S. Argyropoulos, and K. Moustakas, “Gait recognition using compact feature extraction transforms and depth information,” IEEE Trans. on Information Forensics and Security, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 623–630, Sep. 2007.
- S. Argyropoulos, D. Tzovaras, D. Ioannidis, and M. G. Strintzis, "Gait authentication using distributed source coding," in IEEE Int. Conf. on Image Processing (ICIP 2008), San Diego, CA, Oct. 2008, pp. 3108-3111.
- Ioannidis, D.; Tzovaras, D.; Moustakas, K.; , "Gait Identification using the 3D Protrusion Transform,", 2007. ICIP 2007. IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, vol.1, pp.I-349-I-352, Sept. 16 2007-Oct. 19 2007, doi: 10.1109/ICIP.2007.4378963